Thursday, September 29, 2005

I Have 3 Pairs of Shoes!

Kaba is not bragging, he is amazed at the love of Christ. As I drove him home last night from church he said with great excitement, "This is the first time I've had three pairs of shoes since the war started!" The light of God was shining brightly in his face.

I wrote in early July about Samuel, my new Liberian friend who just moved to Tulsa from a Ghana refugee camp. Three more of his family members arrived three weeks ago. Samuel, his father Kaba and Samuel's siblings Abraham (11) and Isatta (8) have been living in refugee camps for most of the past decade. Their home country of Liberia has been mired in a civil war for that time and their lives have been completely unsettled since then. During this process of being unsettled they turned to God who provides eternal settledness (I'm making up words now). Today the other four siblings and Kaba's wife are still unsettled in various places across West Africa but they have great hope of all reuniting someday. I am amazed at their faith.

I've also been amazed at the outpouring of love from our church, the Memorial Drive Church of Christ. I introduced Samuel, who by the way is now working 2 jobs and has moved his family into a 1 bedroom apartment, and his family to our church and they have welcomed them "home". One family went to their storage unit and gave a bed and a couch. Another family gave a nice set of dishes and took Kaba garage saling for a dinner table. Another family who are doctors took them to Wal-Mart on a shopping spree, gave them all clothes, and rides across town. Another family helped Kaba type up his resume as he is now starting to look for a job. Another man is using his connections with Accounting placement firms to look for employment opportunities. The same man gave Kaba a Bible since he didn't have one. The list goes on and on. I feel like I'm living in the middle of Acts where the church was "one" and they all shared as they had needs. What a great experience!

All of this has caused me to think of the many more African refugees living in and moving to the States. I know many of us at church have more things in storage. I know many of the former refugees have empty apartments.

Hmmm, I sense a ministry opportunity!

2 Comments:

At 12:46 PM, Blogger DJT said...

I find it very interesting that God has used your open heart and your connection to Africa and placed you in Tulsa for this opportunity. Thank you for bringing this opportunity to us and opening our eyes to the need.

It is such a blessing to see a family who is so grateful. They could be down because they are still not a united family. It is amazing the smiles and spirits they have. It clearly shows the Spirit in them.

Thanks for being you!!!

 
At 6:51 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Their story is amazing, and I am so thankful you are in the midst of it and I get to learn from you and Briley. It continues to grow me up, as does Kaba's faith & endurance the more I am exposed to it.
We sure live sheltered lives at times. Sometimes by His grace, and sometimes by our own refusal to open our eyes to the lives He would have us be involved in and changed by.
Thanks for putting the reminder out there. I know I need it.
You guys are wonderful.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home