Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Sarah's Hope

On New Years Eve 2000, two of the Jinja Church of Christ members were involved in a terrible accident. Joseph and Grace Bizzu were riding on a motorcycle towards a New Year's celebration when a drunk driver ran a stop sign and smashed into them. Grace bled to death that night and Joseph died 8 months later from complications made worse by AIDS. Grace's last request that night was for her children to be well taken care of. They were ages 12, 9, 7 and 5.

The three younger children were soon placed in a local Christian orphanage but the orphanage was not able to accept Sarah, who was beginning secondary school. A loving couple at the Jinja Church agreed to take in Sarah and Briley and I agreed to help ensure she continued her education.

Fast forward to today and Sarah is now 17 and the equivalent of a junior in high school. She has performed at or near the top of her class each year since 2001 and she desires to be a doctor someday. Some of my good friends at church in Tulsa helped me to be able to allow Sarah to continue her education this year.

Yesterday I went to visit her at her school and her big smile told of her thankfulness for the opportunity to continue her education. Sarah is now full of hope.

1 Comments:

At 8:24 PM, Blogger Shawn said...

Clint:
I just want to hug on Sarah. I wish I could have seen her smiled when you walked into the room and your eyes first met. What a legacy of hope this young woman is receiving from God through you to her. Thank you Clint and Briley for your continued committment to the people of Uganda.
Please tell Sarah that we are so proud of how hard she is working in school. I pray that she will receive this blessing and turn around and pass the blessings on in her chosen field of study.
I remember my first night in Jinja and the storms coming off of Lake Victoria....it was beautiful. And then I woke up in the morning to the sound of your night watchman raking the fallen leaves up with a branch. Oh, how I wish I were there.
thank you for your heart and your love for these beautiful people. I hope that you have a great night of sleep.
I love ya brother -
Shawn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home