Thursday, January 25, 2007

Remembering Adam

Adam's inspiring funeral service yesterday was so fitting for Adam's inspiring life. That is the most I have ever seen at a funeral. I heard one person saying, "If you didn't know Adam before the service, you know him now." Another friend who attended but hadn't really met Adam before said, "I am a changed person." Brent Abney, Vincent Mudd, Ben Ries and Adam's brother, Ben Langford, led an incredible service. Adam would have been proud of each one of his friends / brothers.

They asked other close friends of Adam to speak into the microphone one word that described Adam's life. Here are some of their words:

  • True. Adam was a true friend and teammate.
  • Mukisa. The Lusoga name given to him in Uganda which means "blessed"
  • "the real deal"
  • Advantageous - not in any negative way but rather advantageous in forming friendships and seizing kingdom opportunities to serve his life.
  • Devotion
  • Infectious - not of the African illness kind, but of spreading a joyous spirit around him
  • "Dude!" - one of his favorite greetings and sayings to friends.
  • Dedication
  • Passion - about life, about serving God, about loving others
  • Brother - a great brother to his two brothers and a great brother in Christ.

There were more and it could have gone on much longer. Read many more comments on his life here in the form of comments to his last written report. Words help but cannot fully express what a great person Adam was. Similar to my experiences with Moses, it is hard to find a more selfless and sold out person for living Christ to others than Adam Langford.

I have my own personal memories with Adam that I'll always consider a great gift in my life. I'm so glad he came to Jinja as an intern. He was a shining light that summer of 2000, afro and all. I always hoped he would go back to Jinja to serve and he did that so well. I was privileged to spend about ten days with Adam and my brother, Mark, in late November. I'll always remember.....

  • drinking coffee with him in his little duplex.
  • being encouraged by him after preaching at Jinja Church.
  • watching him love and be loved by so many Ugandans.
  • watching him serve so well with the Jinja Church youth group.
  • hearing of his admiration for his teammates and his love of serving with his teammates.
  • him giving praise to God for the incredible mountains and God's creation in Africa.
  • around midnight one night watching the play by play account on the computer screen of the last 5 minutes of OU's Big 12 South championship clinching football game. We celebrated rather loudly together in the lobby of Gisenyi, Rwanda's Kivu Sun Hotel when they won the game.
  • hearing his anger when a few individuals spoke of another person inappropriately.
  • hearing him speak so highly of Moses Kimeze, Lazarus, Godfrey and other Source employees.
  • watching him light up the place, make people laugh so easily, and gain instant admiration from those we came to know at the events around Roz Carr's memorial service.
  • At Thanksgiving dinner around a table of new acquaintances being asked what he was thankful for. He said "Table - and the relationships formed around table." He described how he was thankful for the times of sitting around the table with his family growing up and enjoying great relationship with them. He was thankful for Roz' table where we sat and of meeting new friends.
  • hearing his dreams for growing The Source and expanding the coffee and craft business.
  • hearing his excitement for starting up the Mvule Project.
  • discussing with him the complexities of dealing with African poverty and hearing him apply his personal experiences with such wisdom.
  • hearing him laugh at the funny things of life in Uganda.
  • hearing him deal with the pain and suffering of living in Uganda - but still living with great joy and hope.
  • watching him live and be Christ to the world.

Adam, thanks for making my life better. Thanks for giving so much, yes even your life, for God in Uganda. Your legacy will live into eternity.

7 Comments:

At 7:14 AM, Blogger Shawn said...

Clint - Thank you so much for again sharing about the life and works of Adam. I love getting to know him better even though it was in his death. I have been amazed of the amazing comments that have been made concerning the funeral or maybe more appropriately called a celebration. You and BRiley have obviously been blessed by getting to cross paths and join Adam in his walk.
I hope that God continues to love and your heart and Briley's heart and that he will continue to give you clarity of though and vision for the future. I love you my brother. Shawn

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Whit said...

It's great to read your insights into a part of Adam's life that I didn't get to see. There were so many people at Adam's funeral, but I left wishing that every person in the world could have witnessed what we did. Thanks for writing what you have about Moses and Adam; you have greatly honored them both Clint. Let Briley know that we haven't forgotten about her struggles.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Eric said...

Clint,
Thanks for this. I couldn't make the trip from MI to OK for the memorial celebration, and I really wish I could have been there. You are right; Adam was a great friend, man, servant.... One of the gifts of my life was to be on the internship in Jinja with Adam and Ben that summer in 2000. What an incredible family, a gift to the world. Adam's life was truly a blessing to us all. Thanks again for these thoughts.
I have been thinking about and praying for y'all a lot this week. I look forward to seeing you in March and chatting more about this and how you are doing.
Grace and peace,
Eric

 
At 4:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Clint--I have never met you, Adam or Moses. I have never been to Jina or Uganda yet the lives of these men have affected my own. I am a friend of Sarah and Lana (Adam's Cousin) in Missoula, MT. We, the Missoula Valley Church, were supporting Lana in her 5 week trip to Jina when the terrible accident occurred. On behalf of all of us we are praying for those Adam leaves behind especially the family. I really appreciate your log and feel like I got to see a small portion of these two men and how much they impact the world around them. What an incredible story of hope and a life full of God's purpose. I hope that my life can only be as full of purpose and that someday I can meet the families of these fascinating men face to face. Their lives are not only a testimony of God's will but also a testimony to those who support, love, and encouraged them. It's amazing how our lives touch each other in such an incredible way. May the Lord's presence continue to be with you all as you all grieve and may you find comfort in knowing that there are people who haven't even met you that in some small way are "weeping with those who weep" and praying for all of you. I wish I could have known Adam and Moses but at least I got to see them through the eyes of those around them. Thank you for your tribute--it touched me immensely. Jen

 
At 3:57 PM, Blogger DJT said...

Thanks for sharing. Thank you for being the kind of person that followed others who forged a great path which then allowed people like Adam to also follow that path.

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger Clint said...

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and prayers.

Jen, thanks for your words of encouragement. I appreciate the prayers of you and your friends as well as the Missoula Valley Church. Our Christian community is so important in these times.

Clint

 
At 6:26 AM, Blogger Chelf said...

Clint, I don't know you, but I knew the Langford family. My dad grew up with Terry. You do the families of both men, and the people who knew them, a great service. Thank you for sharing your friends with the world.
Michelle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home