Thursday, March 10, 2005

Imbabazi Orphanage

Talk about preaching the gospel! Roz Carr lives her life out loud by the love she shows for 123 children at the Imababazi (translated from Kinyarwanda language "loving as a mother loves") Orphanage in Gisenyi, Rwanda.

At age 81 Rosamund Carr had lived a full life, much of it in Rwanda and East Congo. She was therefore reluctant (more like forced) to leave when the genocide began in 1994. She spent four months in the States watching the horrible footage on CNN wondering how her lifelong friends were doing. As she heard the news reports of thousands of wandering children she decided to start an orphanage. She returned soon after the genocide ended to a ransacked house with nearly everything gone. She soon went to work rebuilding her home and converting her former flower storehouse into an orphanage.

The orphanage continues to do well and it has been a pleasure to be a part of it this week. Roz was absolutely floored when I gave her the $6,300 check many friends donated through the Kibo Group. Her joy was enough to make the whole trip for me.

The best part, however, was playing soccer with the kids, installing a new basketball rim on an old backboard and listening to the orphans sing. We spent nearly an hour last night with Terri, Erika, McKensey and Emily teaching them songs and they would respond with a song of their own. It was powerful to hear them sing of the love of Jesus in Swahili, to sing "I'm free, Jesus has set me free" and then to hear them sing "It's me, it's me, it's me Oh Lord, standing in the need of prayer."

These children have endured so much. Thanks to Roz Carr, who at nearly 93, is still preaching the gospel loud and clear in a small corner of a needy world.

1 Comments:

At 10:30 AM, Blogger Imara said...

Hello Clint,
My name is Allison Gardner and my family lives in Claremore, OK and I also operate a non-profit organization located in Gisenyi, Rwanda called the Ungana Foundation. I always love to meet a fellow lover of Rwanda, so if you'd be interested in sharing expertise and experiences, please give me a call or send me an email. I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Thanks,
Allison
allison.ungana@gmail.com
918/341-5392 (home)
801/592-6136 (cell)
unganafoundation.org

 

Post a Comment

<< Home