Saturday, March 21, 2009

Rwanda leading in African development

Rwanda is considered by many to be leading the way for African development.  After the last 2 days I can see why.  Every time I come to this place I meet amazing people.  And for every person I meet and learn from there is another person I hear about that I also want to learn from.  NGOs and development organizations are coming from far and wide to make Rwanda their home base in East Africa.  The government is open and transparent and welcomes those who want to work hard in empowering the Rwandan people.
Yesterday we met with a few leading business development folks and then toured the Millenium Village.  We ate some great Rwandan food for lunch - matooke (plantains), rice and beans, cassava, sweet bananas and pineapple.  We learned  a lot and I am still processing everything I saw.  
Today we met with a leading micro-finance bank, Urwego Opportunity Bank, who is intentional about not just providing loans but also transforming whole lives of their customers.
Tonight I met a Rwandan who is providing mentorship to genocide orphans.  Helping them understand that entering adulthood is hard work and when they work hard they open up educational and vocational opportunities.  
I know we'll be able to take some of these things we've learned and implement them in our own Kibo projects.  There are many folks asking when Kibo will be coming to Rwanda.   We'll continue to watch and pray for the right opportunities.  
Evening times are great for sitting at meals and getting to know others.  Last night we sat at a restaurant for about 2 hours just visiting.  Eating is an experience not just a time to grab fast food and go to the next activity.  We realized how small of a world it is when we found a big screen tv in the restaurant bar that was airing international ESPN which means March Madness.  We watched Oklahoma State squeak by Tennessee.  

Briley got on a plane tonight for her long journey back home.  She will sleep in Uganda tonight, London tomorrow night before she arrives home Monday evening.  Please pray for her safe travels.  We absolutely loved being in Africa together again.

I have one more week to show a good friend, Brett Biggs and his daughter, Hadley, more development projects in life in Uganda.  We travel back to Uganda first thing in the morning.  Please pray for our safe travels.

5 Comments:

At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can count on me to be praying for us as you go back to Uganda. After reading your updates, I know that I would like to go to Rwanda someday. : ) Sounds like a great place. How is Brett and his daughter liking it so far?
We'll be praying for safe travels for Briley. I would love to be at the airport when the kids see here. BE CAREFUL! Love you, Mom

 
At 2:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is praying for you and the reason I am anonymous is because I can't remember how to do it the other way.

 
At 7:50 AM, Blogger Norsemanrm said...

It's been GREAT following all of your posts.
I can't wait for you to get home and Share with us all that God is doing and the visions he is giving you for the future.
Love and respect you more than you know my friend.

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger Eric said...

My dad led me to your posts on the trip (I didn't know you were there) and I'm very glad that he did. I remember fondly eating great Rwandan food in Kigali. They had the best strawberries I've ever had the privilege of putting in my mouth.

I can't wait until the next time we're in T-town to chat about your trip... or until you come up to Michigan. Of course, the reality is that it we'll likely cross paths in Wichita while visiting extended family! :-)

I am blessed to know you and your family and to see all that is happening with your work/ministry. It's an exciting this to see how God can work when space is created for the presence of the Spirit.

 
At 8:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great reports and updates. Was able to open and read all of them. Thanks for taking the time to let us feel part of your trip in words. Keep up the good work, soak it all in and will be glad to talk about your trip in detail in about a month. Love you, Dad

 

Post a Comment

<< Home